Do you really want my opinion?

A look at life as seen by a Christian, wife, mom, activist and very opinionated woman.

Monday, May 31, 2004

Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day and thanks to all those who have given the gift of freedom to us! It is incredible to think of all those who have served our country. I am grateful for your gift to my children and me.

One veteran who served in World War II has given us several very special gifts is my PaPa. PaPa gifts are numerous--his service in the Navy, the way my dad turned out and now his example. You see my grandfather moved to Abilene last year and immersed himself into the lives of this community. He is a great encourager to those at Highland, an ever present fan for any event that my children are involved in, and most importantly, the best example of how a husband should treat his wife. My grandfather takes for better or for worse, in sickness and in health as seriously and as lovingly as anyone I have every seen. My MeMe suffers from severe dementia, yet my PaPa takes care of her, the house, the yard and constantly helps the rest of us out--and also manages to fit in a couple of rounds of golf a week. He has learned to cook, keep house, comb out MeMe's hair, shop for her clothes and always makes sure she has her purse (her comfort item). He never complains, no matter how tired he gets. It is a great honor to salute him on this Memorial Day!

Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for my PaPa. For providing us with an example of what marriage is about. For helping us to remember how important families are and most importantly for letting my children see his life. Please protect his health and keep him from becoming too worn out. Thank you for this wonderful man! Amen

1 Comments:

At June 2, 2004 at 2:58 PM, Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

I loved reading this---so sweet! Thank you for sharing. Miss you guys.
Love,
BST

 

Post a Comment

<< Home