Do you really want my opinion?

A look at life as seen by a Christian, wife, mom, activist and very opinionated woman.

Friday, May 28, 2004

The Swimsuit Dance

Today is the day for the first swim of the season. Unfortunately it begins a new chapter in my life with my daughter--the swimsuit dance. Yes she is only four, but some people just mature more quickly and cause their mama more grief. With my son, it was easy. Swimsuit shopping has been baggy trunks with various characters (Barney to Pokemon') or day glow yellow or orange. No worries about modesty, just coolness quotient. My daughter is already in swimsuit panic. This year's shopping experience was frightening. She wanted a two piece and preferably one that Brittany Spears would wear. Mind you my daughter knows nothing of Brittany except for what her friend Landry from school has shared.

Panic struck my heart as we entered Old Navy!! Much to my surprise, the teenage sales clerk talked her into a mock wetsuit (just like Lizzie McGuire might wear)--thanks Jennifer from Old Navy--and a two piece that even my grandma would approve of (think 1950's). But this was only the first movement of the dance, Next came "Water Day" at the local Pre-K. "Would Landry like my swimsuit?" asked Lauren. "Will it look cool?" I really hoped so. "Will I be pretty?" Well the second act got rave reviews--thank you God! Lauren was pretty, cool and gained Landry's approval. Daughter happy, mom happy and another year that modesty is in!

So now the third act begins. Mom in very frumpy but comfortable swimdress, brother in his orange trunks, daughter in her modest two piece and we are off to the pool! Maybe Paul can do the swimsuit shopping with his daughter next year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home